Paradox of Medieval Scotland 1093 - 1314

[Image: Seal Palimpsest]

[sourceicon] Document 3/416/12 (Dryb. Lib., App., no. 1)

Description
Richard de Moreville, constable of the kingdom of the Scots, has given and granted, and by his charter established, to the Hospital of Lauder, that land where the hospital is situated by stated marches, which John [sic, Jocelin], bishop of Glasgow, himself, Avicia, his wife, William de Moreville, his son, Herbert, Geoffrey, dean, Adam, clerk, and Adam, cellarer of Melrose, perambulated between the monks [of Dryburgh] and the infirm brethren. And, the land of Pilmuir with common pasture and easements of Pilmuir and Trabrown, by stated marches, with the teinds of the said lands. Also, he grants freedom from multure at his mill of Lauder (BWK), and wishes that his smith of Lauder shall make all irons of their carriages [ferra carrucarum suarum]. He gives one thrave of grain from a certain carriage of Lauderdale. He gives a way through the land of the monks of Melrose up to the peatary of ‘Milchenside’. All this he gives in pure and perpetual alms.
Firm date
1175 X 1190
Dating Notes
Consecration of Jocelin, bishop of Glasgow × death of Richard de Moreville
Source for Data Entry
Dryburgh Liber, App., no. 1
Trad. ID
Dryb. Lib., App., no. 1
Calendar number
3/416/12
Charter type
Charter
Language
Latin

Total number of associated factoids: 17

Listing items 1 to 2, page 1 of 1

  • ‹‹ First
  • ‹ Previous
  • 1
  • Next ›
  • Last ››

Date Short Summary Holder Lord
1175 X 1190 Mill of Lauder (BWK) Richard de Moreville (d.1189 or 1190)
1175 X 1190 Land of the monks of Melrose (in Lauder, BWK) Melrose Abbey (fd.1136)